What People Ask Us

Cameron Lofts Essex Building Company

Frequently Asked Questions

We are sure that you have many questions that you would like answered about our services.  We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions to help answer some of the most common questions you may have.

How much height do I need in my loft for it to be converted?

You need approximately 2.2 metres in the highest point of your loft.

How long does the work take to be completed?

The work takes approximately 6-7 weeks for a loft extension with en-suite bathroom.

Will the work be affected by the weather?

No. We have our own roofing division who will take every precaution to keep your home watertight throughout the build process.

Is there a lot of mess and upheaval?

No. All materials are brought in externally through the roof to keep inconvenience to a minimum.  There will generally be no interruption to your home until the staircase is fitted. We ensure that we tidy any mess we may make at the end of each day.

Can I see a completed loft extension?

Yes, we are more than happy to arrange for you to see and speak to our previous clients.

Do you need planning permission?

Most of the time planning permission is not required for loft conversions and in most cases is not required for ground floor extensions. In most mid terraced properties you can extend your property by 40 cubic metres in the loft space and by 50 cubic metres for a semi-detached property.  Our architect can advise you accordingly to your permitted development allowances and can advise you if planning permission is required.

Will I Need Architect and Structural Engineers?

All loft conversions and extensions require plans and structural engineer’s reports as every house is different. Building Control will need to check the structural engineer’s calculations for accuracy. Building Control issue a Certificate of Completion once all work is completed to current building regulations.

 We can arrange our architect to contact you. The architect will arrange a suitable time to visit you to discuss your requirements so that you are getting exactly what you want from your conversion or extension.

 A copy of the plans will be sent to you and to the structural engineer who can carry out the calculations once you are happy to proceed. If you have already appointed an architect who has drawn up the plans for you this is absolutely fine as long as we have the structural calculations to supply you with an accurate costing.

Will I need to Contact my Local Authority Building Control Department?

All work carried out is subject to current Building Regulations and is inspected at various stages of the build. At present we use a private Building Control company so you do not need to go through your Local Authority Building Control department.

 Once the work has been completed a Certificate of Completion is issued. This certificate confirms that all work conforms to current building regulations and your new conversion or extension is part of your home which importantly adds value to your home.

Are you fully qualified and insured?

We are members of the federation of Master Builders.

We hold Part P registration and all electrical works are fully certified on completion.

All contractors are CSCS compliant.

We have full Public Liability Insurance

Limit of indemnity: £2,000,000.00
Valid until: 3rd Dec 2023


About Your Next Project?

01708 732128 

07956 608662

29 Roslyn Gardens, Romford, RM2 5RH